• Colorado River Historical Society Museum •

"Preserving the history of the Tri-state area"

Historical Accounts of the Tri-state Area

Mining Town Life



About 1902, Ben Paddock discovered the Vivian Mine. The property came into possession of the Vivian Mining Company in 1903; the community of Vivian began to evolve. There were several stores, two banks, a Chamber of Commerce, and about 150 people. With the discovery of the Tom Reed gold mine in 1908, the town became known as Oatman. The post office name was changed from Vivian to Oatman in 1909, and a sense of prosperity and renewed excitement began to permeate the area.  (see more)